The SUBE, a Saint-Tropezian legend
In the XIXth century The SUBE was a coach house, before remodeling as the Marquis Alban Martin de Roquebrune’s mansion. The Marquis also had the famous statue of the Bailli de Suffren erected, facing the building. Alexander Dumas witnessed the unveiling of the statue on April 4th1876. He probably stayed at the Café de la Marine (the SUBE’s original name) to pen his magazine article for « L’Illustration ». From then on the former mansion became a hotel.
Another famous writer, Guy de Maupassant, described the hotel in 1876 in his book "Sur l’eau" referring to it as the"Bailli de Suffren’s hotel ".
Ownership changes once again and it is then known as "Le Continental". Eugene Sube a travelling salesman, fell in love with the proprietress. Of their union came forth the SUBE et Continental Hotel, later shortened to the SUBE.
Many writers and artists attended the SUBE: Paul Signac, fauvist painters such as Camoin, Manguin as well as authors such as Colette and Apollinaire. Orson Welles even set up an easel in order to paint a scene from La Bravade, a yearly pagent celebrating Saint-Tropez’ military and religious history.
A lawyer with a passion for the sea, Jean-Louis Carré acquired the hotel In 1986 and turned it into a sanctuary for all things maritime — in large part thanks to the increasing popularity of the Nioularge (Les Voiles).
In 2012 he sold it to Geneviève and Bruno Walther, who already owned Granier Beach.
Sharing a passion for the sea, they were ceaseless in preserving the venues’ traditional spirit and improving its comfort. Armchairs and leather-upholstered benches were added in the bar-salon for an enhanced English club atmosphere.
Bailly de Suffren' statue